Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The flu and how to avoid and treat it




It's that time of year....sniffles, sneezing, sore throats, body aches and cough.  I am often asked how it is that I don't seem to get sick or if I do get sick...how I don't seem to get sick as bad.





Let's look at the flu and then I'll tell you my secret:

The flu, more scientifically known as influenza, is a highly contagious respiratory infection caused by influenza viruses. The influenza virus usually enters the body through mucus membranes in the mouth, nose, or eyes.  When a person with the flu coughs or sneezes, the virus then becomes airborne and can be inhaled by anyone nearby. You can also get the flu if you’ve touched a contaminated surface like a telephone or a doorknob and then touch your nose or mouth. Of course, the risk of infection is greater in highly populated areas like schools, buses, and crowded urban settings.  (Flu Facts)
The biggest problem is "what is it?  The flu or a cold because you treat them differently."
The Flu Facts have come up with a chart to help you determine if it the flu or a cold. Although this is a great way to determine what it is you have nothing is better than seeing your Doctor.

Signs and SymptomsInfluenzaCold
Symptom onsetAbruptGradual
FeverUsual; lasts 3-4 daysRare
AchesUsual; often severeSlight
ChillsFairly commonUncommon
Fatigue, weaknessUsualSometimes
SneezingSometimesCommon
Stuffy noseSometimesCommon
Sore throatSometimesCommon
Chest discomfort, coughCommon; can be severeMild to moderate; hacking cough
HeadacheCommonRare

We here about flu shots and how they are the best way of preventing getting the flu.  I cannot, personally, talk about the flu shot as I have never had one.  I have found that being healthy and good hygiene are the best way to prevent getting sick.  The stronger you are on the inside the less chance of getting sick.  Eating right, drinking lots of water and exercise is the best prevention.  



Now, even the healthiest of people will get sick, unfortunately, there isn't any way of avoiding it completely. What do you do when you do get sick?  I'm going to tell you to go to the Doctor and let them decide what is the best way to treat is.  Antibodics are a common way of treating the flu but I listen when they say that your body can build up an immune to them so I try to avoid them if at all possible.


I know some that will see a Doctor and be prescribed antivirals which will work if you take it soon enough (or you take them when someone close to you becomes sick).  I cannot tell you if they work....I can tell you my friends say they do.

You can treat the symptoms and "get through it" but that is a lot of trial and error on finding what works for you.  I hear people say you have to get....... it's the best and it worked wonders for me.  So you go out and buy it and it doesn't work for you.  I've never been for treating the symptoms of anything...I want it gone not just lurking in the background.

So I said I would tell you what my secret is.  Start off with healthy living; eating right, exercise and a lot of water.  Make this your way of life not just your lifestyle.  If you do get sick (and if you live healthy it will be a rare occasion)....ready for the secret......Sambucol (Black Elderberry).
The study that first demonstrated Sambucol's effects was published in the winter 1995 issue of the Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. Scientists treated both children and adults who developed flu while living on a kibbutz in Israel. Of 27 patients in this double-blind study, some were treated with Sambucol and some with a placebo for three days. Children took two tablespoons daily and adults took four of the pleasant-tasting liquid. No one had received flu shots. Of those who took Sambucol almost all recovered completely within two to three days. Those taking the placebo recovered in six days. The active substances in Sambucol believed responsible for its effects are three flavonoids with antiviral properties.
A more recent laboratory study of three different Sambucol formulations, tested on blood from 12 healthy donors, showed that they increased production of inflammatory cytokines, which are immune system mediators. This finding indicates that Sambucol might help activate a healthy immune system and possibly be useful for boosting immunity in cancer and AIDS patients. The research took place at the Immunology Laboratory for Tumor Diagnosis, Department of Oncology, Hadassah University Hospital in Jerusalem, Israel.  (Andrew Weil, M.D.)
Now I can't promise that it will work for you...as everyone is different.  I will tell you that it works for me and everyone I know that takes Sambucol it works for them.  Another form of Sambucol you might find in stores is Sambucus which works just as well.  If you want to learn more about Black Elderberry you can click HERE.

Good luck this cold and flu season and here's to healthy living!






If you are looking at living healthier I recommend calling Premier Back Rehabilitation Center and asking them about their First Line Therapy.


Like Premier Back Rehabilitation Center on Facebook or visit their website  (map)


4 comments:

  1. I am extremely impressed with your writing talents as smartly as with the layout in your blog.

    Is this a paid subject or did you customize it
    your self? Anyway keep up the excellent high quality writing, it
    is uncommon to peer a nice blog like this one
    nowadays..

    Feel free to visit my homepage; cooking duck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words...I did customize it from many sources. I find it easier to have the information in one spot than several sites.

      Delete
  2. thanks for sharing...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?